So there’s shitloads of things that freak me out. But this time I don’t mean in a ‘freddie kruger is knocking on your door’ type of freak out. I mean in a majestic ‘this is frikkin amazing’ type of freak out…
Like the craziness of stars and galaxies. And really really BIG stuff.
And then the insane flip side of that.
The small small stuff. Like what’s going on inside our bodies. WOAH.
These are some of those things that freak me out…
* Our sense of touch is more refined that any device ever created. Our hearing is so sensitive that we can distinguish between hundreds of thousands of different sounds. Using our eyes, we can distinguish up to a million colour surfaces, and take in an amount of information that surpasses the amount distinguished by the largest telescopes. Each person’s tongue has it’s own unique imprint.
* Our brain is more complex than the most powerful computer and has more than 100 billion nerve cells. Within 6.5 square centimetres of each of our hands, we have 2.7 metres of blood vessels, 600 pain sensors, 9000 nerve endings, 36 heat sensors and 75 pressure sensors. On average, we breathe 25 000 times a day, and 10 million times a year, which means we take about 600 million breaths during our lifetime.
* On average, our heart beats about 3 billion times in our lifetime. An adult is made up of about 100 trillion cells, each containing one to two metres of DNA. The aorta, our largest artery, is almost the diameter of a garden hose. Our capillaries, on the other hand, are so small that 10 of them are equal to the thickness of a human hair.
* The human brain is made up of about 30 billion cells, called neurones, and each neurone is capable of handling about a million bits of information. If we were to write that information down as a number, we’d include 6.5 million miles of zeros that would stretch from earth to the moon and back 13 times.
* Human bone is as strong as granite as a supporter of weight. A block of bone the size of a matchbox can support nine tonnes, and that’s four times as much as concrete can support.
People are ridiculously amazing. Life is wonderfully incredible. Perspective is absolutely essential…